Tuesday, June 23, 2015

For as long as I can remember obesity has been a problem in my family,  especially on my dad's side.  My mom, my brothers, and I are all very skinny but my dad is not the same.  He along with a couple of my aunts and uncles are overweight and that has led to some problems.  My dad has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and that is scary to think about.  At 5' 8" and 150 pounds believe it or not I am the biggest of the kids in my family even though I am the youngest by 6 years.  My brothers both got my moms genes when it comes to gaining weight and I got my dads.  They can eat whatever they want and never gain weight, but as for me I have to watch what I eat.  My dad may be overweight now but when he was my age he was skinnier than I am so as I think about my future I do not want to let that happen.
"Obesity is a complex disorder involving an excessive amount of body fat" according to Mayo Clinic.  Also, as mentioned by Mayo Clinic, a lot of health problems can stem from obesity one of them being diabetes as I mentioned earlier.
Let's look at some facts and statistics about obesity.  According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: more than 2 in 3 adults are considered to be overweight or obese, more than 1 in 3 adults is considered to be obese, more than 1 in 20 adults is considered to be extremely obese, about one third of children and adolescents ages 6-19 are considered to be overweight or obese, and 1 in 6 children or adolescents ages 6-19 is considered to be obese.  Just looking at these facts is kind of mind blowing.  I feel bad for the kids who are obese because you and I both know that their obesity stemmed from their parents and the kids were basically destined to be overweight.  
After looking at those facts and statistics I would just like to encourage everyone to find some sort of exercise that they like to do.  For me, it started with running then I started swimming and eventually got into triathlons.  I also just like to play a pick up basketball game and different things like that in order to exercise.  I know a lot of people don't like running, but even walking will help.  Anything you do exercise wise is better than doing nothing at all and it will help.  Along with weight loss you can also reduce your risk of weight related illnesses or diseases and it can also make you feel better and feel better about yourself.  There are many benefits to exercising and keeping yourself healthy and I encourage you to go out and find those on your own.
Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment